Movement Against Racist Costumes Becomes Internet Meme

What do you think of the “cultural” Halloween costumes that appear in abundance this time of year? Is a Mexican costume racist? Or does it merely attempt to celebrate their culture? Are people being overly sensitive about racism, or is it a serious issue that should be addressed?

A well-meaning student group from Ohio University has launched a campaign to end “racist” Halloween costumes. Known as S.T.A.R.S, they are the “Students Teaching Against Racism in Society.” They’ve put out a series of posters like the two shown above.

Apparently, lots of people on the Internet are making fun of this concept, and have turned their campaign into a humorous meme. I did get a good laugh out of the images below.

So what do you think? Has political correctness gone too far? Does the STARS campaign deserve to be turned into a joke? Or are they making an important point about underlying racism in our society? I welcome your comments below.

[Know Your Meme via BoingBoing]

This entry was posted in discussion, questions, world costumes. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Movement Against Racist Costumes Becomes Internet Meme

1. Starwaster says:

You know what this really reminds me of? It reminds me of the time that Speedy Gonzalez was cancelled and taken off the air because it was racially insensitive or politically incorrect or some BS reason like that. You know who protested its cancellation the loudest? MEXICANS. And, apparently not just Mexicans living in the US either. Apparently actual real Mexicans living in Mexico watched it and were upset that it was gone.

So who is it really that’s upset by these costumes? Is this motivated by a bunch of well meaning white kids who are afraid of offending someone? WHO IS ‘S.T.A.R.S.’ REALLY??? I’m calling shenanigans here.

2. Kilyra says:

Starwaster, I think that was really well said. You know, I sat here last night trying to think of something to say but had to shut my browser down because I didn’t know how to word my feelings. You summed them up well. Maybe I hang out with really “edgy” people, but I have friends of different races who are as baffled as I am over how these costumes are racist. Having grown up in rural Alberta, I don’t get offended when I see cowboy, redneck, hillbilly costumes. And I certainly don’t see how someone dressing up as something specific translates into the idea that they’ve decided the entire culture is boiled down to that one image. Seriously, who doesn’t know that not all Japanese people are Geishas? And on a side note, what about my Aboriginal friend that adores her Pocahontas costume – is she still being racist?

I know that racism may not be as overt as it used to be, but it still exists – I’m not that niave. But I don’t believe that is what motivates the choices behind these costumes.

3. Mike says:

There is a link to the S.T.A.R.S. blog at CNN.com, and they are led by a young black woman, and all the members pictures they have shown in the protest posters appear to be ethnic minorities.
    Regardless, whether white, black or brown, their complaints are ridiculous in my opinion. Political Correctness is killing our holidays.

4. I think people need to learn the difference between ‘racism’ and ‘racial stereotypes’.

5. Earl says:

They should make one of a redneck holding a picture of someone dressed as a redneck for Halloween.

6. Ad Rock says:

Earl, in this day and age classism is probably more offensive than racism.

7. Aubrie says:

They did, it was to represent the mountain people usually shown as inbred hillbillies to point out the problem with stereotypes and judging people by those. It was more of a comment on classism, they specifically mentioned the illiteracy that plagues that area just because they’re poor and out of the way…